Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Newbie Questions about USB to SPDIF Conversion/Benchmark USB1 Experiences

I have been tinkering with computer based music ssytems. Since I am just your average barnyard animal, my computer skills arent that strong.

The main question is this. Which USB convertors work well? I have an Audio Magic Kukama DAC that I love, and won't abandon. However, it only has coax in. So we would need to convert from USB to use it. Is there any converters out there that maintain a 24 bit word length? And that allows the computer to select the proper sampling rate, and not force KMixxer to change the rate?

Currently using I-tunes for XP on a Dell laptop. Music is stored on some 250 G Western Digital outboard hard drives.

As an interesting side note. I have have a Benchmark DAC 1 USB in the house. I hav compared the computer against a Phillips DVP 642 used as a transport. They sound exactly the same. Sometimes I thought I could hear the difference, but to be honest, in a single blind test....I would never be able to distinguish them apart. But it is interesting to note that Benchmark says that a bit transparent DVD player will sound exactly the same as a computer based server through their DAC. Claims it has to do with their reclocking system. It appears to be true in this case. I wonder if it would be the same with the Audio Magic DAC. That is the reason i am looking for a good USB converter.

Regards,
Mister Pig

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Newbie Questions about USB to SPDIF Conversion/Benchmark USB1 Experiences - Mister Pig 08:40:19 03/21/07 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.