Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Can I ask why you use cue sheets and big wav file?

Hey Christine,

I first got into this about 4 years ago. I wnt the computer route because of the PC's ability to act as a crossover and do room correction. At that time, the ACXO player which had room correction and digital crossovers built-in, would only play wavs and had no sort of play list capability. Cue sheets and big wav files were what it needed. As far as I can tell, it was designed to mimic a cdp, and play "cds" and not songs.
So, all the music was ripped this way.

This is not a huge deal, as Foobar supports this, and I have the cover art all set up, etc. But the Foobar lyric plug in leaves a bit to be desired.

So, a freind ask me to help him create a music computer, and no way foobar will work for this guy. So I found a player that is super easy, has album and lyric support, and is "cover art based". This thing can even get band member images, and is very intuitive. It has has EXTERNAL PLAYER SUPPORT...so you can use it as the gui, and Foobar or winamp plays in the back ground. (please note, that this feature is not yet perfected, it is not a direct sync, but it is a work in progress).

I am thinking of getting this player for my "big rig" and just use it along with Foobar. But, the thing doesn't support .wavs, or cue sheets. The designer is very receptive to adding such things, but his market is more mainstream (mp3, and cover art, blah blah blah). ANyhow, I wanted to take this poll because I was certain that there were a bunch of people using wavs and cue sheets, and could show him...but I guess I was dead wrong!!

Anyhow, I guess it is a generation thing, but I am a "cd" guy. I would rather listen to whole albums than 10 diferent songs, and most players really seem to be song based rather than cd based. (When you are talking about "harder to seek accross tracks" are you approaching this from a song base point of view, or something else?).

I do like this player enough to contemplate re-ripping my collection for the 3rd time!!!! And then probably doing Flac.

Finally, Accurate rip is not an advantage in my case since I would say maybe 90% of my collection is not in there, and I am not dumb enough to argue computers with you, but I have never seen more than 1% fragmentation when i defrag, so I am not sure what you are talking about here, but I'll take your word for it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.