Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

AirFoil

I purchased AirFoil couple of years ago because I wanted to stream music wirelessly from my original Airport to three Airport Express units simultaneously and at that time iTunes would not do it. Since then, newer versions of iTunes have been released that have that capability and I sort of forgot about AirFoil. I never have been pleased with the results either way. When I try to run any one or two of the systems, everything works fine. But when I try to run three or four systems at the same time (the fourth one being the powered monitors hooked directly to the computer soundcard) there are frequent, annoying dropouts. I have upgraded my Airport to an Extreme and also tried a couple of different outboard antennas. Granted, two of the AEs are on an upper level about 30 ft away, but when I use them for wireless internet or file transfer, they are rock solid. A coupla hundred bucks later, my conclusion is that the technology is just not quite there yet to stream music wirelessly at high fidelity except at short distance and within line-of-sight. However, your post has inspired me to resurrect and update AirFoil to see if it might be an improvement with the new hardware. I will post again if there is any success.

. . . in theory, practice and theory are the same; in practice, they are different . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • AirFoil - tlea 20:28:41 03/15/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.