Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Questions on different Realtek drivers and chipsets

I have two PCs with Realtek HD audio chipsets on the motherboard. One is an ALC882M, the other an ALC883.

The one on ALC882M is currently running Vista, but was previously running XP. I seem to recall on Realtek drivers up to 1.54 did not support SPDIF output at frequencies other the 48kHz (but will support 44.1,48 and 96 on Vista).

However, the one with ALC883 will support SPDIF at 44.1, 48, 96, 192 kHz on driver version 1.61.

I'm curious, since both chips appear to have very similar specs (apart from lack of Dolby Digital Live support on the ALC883).

I'm curious - does Dolby Digital Live (whether or not it is enabled) limits SPDIF output to 48kHz on the XP drivers? That seems like a curious restriction to me.

Also, under both XP and Vista (on both chipsets) the DirectKS driver seems to be limited to 16 bits only, even though the chipset itself is capable of 24-bit.

Does anyone else have experience with Realtek chipsets and drivers? Specifically, ability to support higher that 16-bit on DirectKS and ability to support other than 48kHz on SPDIF?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Questions on different Realtek drivers and chipsets - Christine Tham 13:06:59 03/11/07 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.