Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

It gets even stranger!!

OK I just went over to my mac mini and popped the CD in. This way I can hear through my main system (BTW-Denon AVR3805/Heathkit AA121 tube amp on fronts/KEF iq3 front speakers) I ripped the first track with MAX using the paranoia ripper to AIFF, put it in itunes and compared the CD in the drive and in my home player to the paranoia rip I just made in MAX.....THE SAME THING. The rip sounds closer and for lack of a better descriptive word brighter but no other differences really. No distortion or other artifacts of any kind, just clearer. This is not placebo effect here, it is quite clear. I would actually say the paranoia rip sounds better than the track off the CD but I want to know why? And comparing off my home player to the rip is the SAME result. They are all going through the Denon DAC via optical cables so they are all even using the same DAC so that variable is controlled. I DONT GET IT. Shouldn't the rip and the AIFF sound the same when coming off the same drive. I have been at this a while but I am truly stumped. Just in case anyone was wondering, the CD is Leo Kottke-A Shout Toward Noon. Someone please help me understand this??

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.