Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Resampling mixer bad. Digital level control - not necessarily.

PM:

First off, I am not sure why you have a windows volume control working if using ASIO or KS. Just don't select any device that you are using (say, for example, use an onboard codec) as the Windows Default Playback device.

With most ASIO soundcards, you get a DSP mixing suite. This means there IS a level control for the device, but it's NOT the kmixer, it doesn't resample, and if set to "100%" or "0db" it's not altering the data in any way. The only trouble with digital volume controls is that the effective dynamic range decreases as you decrease volume.

PM: "So my theory is that even if you use ASIO or KS, you should always check the "Do not use audio feature of the device".

I'm thinking this won't work in all cases - I just proved it does work when using ASIO and the Creative X-fi.

I will try this with the M-Audio Revo (which also has an ASIO driver) and see if it does the same thing. When you disable "audio features" on the device, you also disable "mixer" and "midi" features of the device which may be required to use ASIO.

The crux of the above is that an ASIO based DSP mixer is not one in the same with the Kmixer.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.