Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: not exactly like thought..

Well I fooled around with it a little more and here's what I think -

I was also of the impression that "Do not map..." will prevent "windows sounds" (popups, alerts, ding dong etc..) to that audio device. However that is NOT the case. I tried that option and Windows Sounds go right through that device when it is busy with another application (like playing a track in fb2k).
Try it and let me know if you experience the same thing.

The "Do not use audio features..." is where it really gets interesting. It basically removes the device logically from your system. It becomes invisible to applications that can't/don't use ASIO or KS. In effect it does not load windows mixer or the soundcard mixer/panel, thereby eliminating the volume control and other possible processing by the mixer completely from the path. Whether this is of any advantage or not, I am not sure. Because ASIO or KS also essentially bypass the kmixer but not the soundcard's mixer, right ? Well, even with ASIO or KS the windows or soundcard mixer's volume control is still very much in control! And I believe its a well accepted fact that any type of 'digital' volume control is not desirable.

So my theory is that even if you use ASIO or KS, you should always check the "Do not use audio feature of the device". Ofcourse you will loose sound from all other applications that cant do KS or ASIO (virtually everything).

Anyone else care to comment ?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.