Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Since there are no other takers...

PM:

This is a good question. I honestly thought "I should know this" but when it came time to write, I realized I really didn't know.

So off to the computer I went. For this "test" I used a Creative X-Fi Xtreme music, which has "multi-headed" (dual) WDM/ASIO drivers. I am currently trying many iterations with this card, and after some experiementing, I found I can get really good SQ out of it!

So I went to the device manager and selected the "SB" (soundblaster) device and checked the "Do not map" box. Rebooted. Ran my soundcard in both ASIO and kernel streaming/WDM mode. Got sound in both cases. That's strange? RIght? Not really. In MY case this sound card is NOT THE WINDOWS DEFAULT SOUND DEVICE (I have an onboard C-media selected for my onboard sound device so all windows sounds get mapped THERE. I also have sounds DISABLED for extra protection because I am "bit-perfect-obsessed paranoid and delusional audiophile").

I think "Do not map" is when you have a particular audio device selected as a Windows Audio device somewhere, and you are telling it not to map "windows sounds", such as voice, system notification sounds, etc. through the device. I *THINK* this is what they mean by *MAP* - it means "Do not map the 'digitally mixed' output of the kmixer through this device". But I could be wrong here.

I will experiment with this further. Because I am using either ASIO or Kernel Streaming, I figured that "Do not Map" would have no effect - and it did not. I think this "do not map" only matters when the device is SELECTED and OPERATIONAL as a Windows Audio Default device for playback, midi or speach.

Now as for "Use features on this device"... that's a whole other ballpark. When you select THAT bullet, you will also notice that it changes AUTOMATICALLY the following settings:

"Do not use mixer features of this device" under "Mixer Device".
"Do not use midi features of this device" under "Midi Device".

Interesting. Three different settings, but ALL are disabled by the FIRST setting. Hmmmm... that's NEEDLESSLY CONFUSING! lol

In any case, I selected the "Do not use" bullet (and UNchecked do not map). Strange results: I got Kernel Streaming to work but not ASIO! It seems I need the devices "mixer" functions of the card to use ASIO (The Creative mixing "Console" [active in 'Audio Creation Mode'] is disabled when the "Do not use" button is checked). But I am confident this "DSP Mixer" is NOT one in the same with the "dreaded Windows Audio Kmixer". Even the best top dollar cards have a DSP "mixer" - but they are typicall an "ASIO only" driver. Some mid-fi / pro-sumer ones (like the M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7.1) are "multi-headed" meaning they can operate in both WDM and ASIO modes. Ah, the confusing joy of Audio under Windows.

A word on Kmixer: Kmixer is a very generic term for a part of the Windows Audio Stack. There are different versions of the Windows audio "system" - there is the older AC97 spec (which resampled the hell out of everything and everything - I think to 48khz if I am not mistaken). And then there are newer variants - the Intel HDA (High Definition Audio) "Azalia" spec for onboard Hi-Def / Hi-res capable codecs like the Realtek ALC880 or the Cmedia CMI9880.

Enter Vista. Realtek has come out with a ALC888, and Cmedia has come out with some new fandagled DSP software for the CMI9880 platform called "Hydrogen". (Seems like a simliar direction of the "Oxygen" 8787/8788 PCI cards.)

Microsoft seems to be handshaking with the "media" giants for onboard codecs, but a lot of PCI card vendors are still shrugging their shoulders when asked about Vista drivers. I say if you're kernel streaming or using ASIO under XP, be happy for a few years until the bugs are ironed out of Vista (with respect to audio AND in general).

Let's face it. XP is NOT a bad OS if it's configured and streamlined correctly. Vista promises better multi-media.

One thing to be aware of: todays "multi-media" is more about compatibility with the latest multichannel formats, and conformance to new DRM requirements than it is about SOUND QUALITY. Microsoft is so DRM happy (with audio AND computer software) you're soon going to need to insert a DNA sample into your computer just to turn it on.

I'm sticking with Foobar, Winamp, ASIO and KS plugins, Aedio Japan crossovers, and the 64 bit *math* Thuneau Allocator/Arbitrator.

I'd need to do some serious component upgrades to my speakers and amps before getting a "better" digital front end is going to make an appreciable difference.

So there you have it. Use ASIO or Kernel Streaming and those settings are a mute point. Either ASIO or Kernel Streaming will result in exclusive access to the audio device. In fact, a few folks have COMPLAINED that when using Kernel Streaming or ASIO output plugins they lose all other Windows "system sounds".

Well duh guys. That *was* the whole POINT! :o)

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.