Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: very basic questions

An internal sound card is not required. The music data is sent directly over a standard USB output port.

I am not familiar with the superlink cable, but hits on the web on 'superlink cable' are for a data transfer cable to transfer data between 2 computers. This will not work for music.

You will need either a USB sound card/DAC to send music directly to your stereo, or a USB device that converts the USB information to optical or SP/DIF out that can then be used to send digital data to your DAC.

For the sound cards/DAC prices vary from about $100-$X000 depending. The EMU 0404 USB Dac is about $200, and has very good sound for the money. Benchmark recently updated the DAC1 with a USB port and it is about $1200. I like the sound of both of these. I have not tried them, but Wavelength has a series of DACs from about $1800 that many people enjoy.

Devices to convert USB to digital can be purchased for as little as $40, but sound quality is questionable. Plan to spend $100 or so for something like an M-Audio Transit.

Another option is the EMU 0404 USB, which can also route the data digitally to your DAC, or play directly to your stereo with decent sound. One down side of the EMU is that it does use quite a bit of CPU (about 20% overhead on a 1.4ghtz Pentium M). M-Audio also makes a USB DAC that can do this as well, but I prefer the sound quality of the EMU.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.