Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Apple question - AIFF/M4A?

The general consensus here after people get done with the headscratching is that Lossless is lossless and as such indistinguishable. With the caveat that you check "Error Correction" in the same dialog box. Please note that this is true for the Mac, iTunes running on Windows (make that all digital music) still appears to give some of the people fits some of the time. I do not have first hand experience, but in the PC/WinTel world I suspect that the EAC advocates do have a better sounding solution.

As to AIFF versus Apple Lossless, the issue is that you are going to be giving up the ability to easily tag your files - tagging is assigning metadata such as all the stuff iTunes will go out and get to populate the database everytime you stick a CD in to rip it. The whole thing gives me a headache and I have not delved into it very far - you can read about it to your hearts content...

For me personally the power of the Mac iTunes solution is that it seamlessly integrates ripping, file management, playback and supports my iPod and Squeezeboxes from one library. I would not want to give that up to make bigger files that sound the same that I can do less with...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Apple question - AIFF/M4A? - xmasparty@mac.com 21:32:09 03/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.