Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Will this adaptor work?

Yep - it will work fine - maybe not the optimum but certainly well enough to give you a taste.

The problem is that there are no really great Toslink cables that fit the Airport Express mini format. And as I read it the MacBook does not seem to have an optical out like the towers do.

There is of course another way, depending on your setup - mostly how far the MacBook is going to be from the DAC. This may be attractive to you because I assume you already have a standard optical cable that you like.

SO

Assuming the MacBook is within 15 feet, you can get one of Belkins premium USB cables. Use that to get the data out of your Mac and connect it to a USB to Toslink box. The Waveterminal U24 used to be the gold standard but is no longer being imported.

There are others like the M-Audio Transit USB. I am sure other inmates will have suggestions. If you want to do some research you will find this type of unit in the pro audio space and semi pro space (meaning musicians and recording studios) not in the hifi world.

The other way to go is straight to a USB DAC or a Squeezebox but that is a discussion for another day.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Will this adaptor work? - xmasparty@mac.com 18:52:17 03/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.