Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

M-Audio Audiophile USB with other devices

I am a newbie on this part of the board although I've been interested in other audio stuff for eons. If this all is beginner dumb stuff to the rest of you, I will slink away into the night. :)

I use a MacBook Pro at work and often drag it home. I was running its headphone output through a mini-to-mini cable into Klipsh iFi speakers. Unfortunately, the daily insertion and removal of the connector took its toll on the Mac's headphone jack (and no, I was not a brute, it's just a weak part) and I had to replace two of them before concluding that a USB solution would be preferable, if only to preserve my computer for the long haul. I then purchased a cheapo Griffin iMic that worked at least for the purpose of getting a signal out through some part other than the headphone jack.

I then started reading about upgrading the sound quality from Macs and found a great price on a used M-Audio Audiophile USB. I am sure that I am wasting its many capabilities as I basically use it just to link the computer to the iFi's using an RCA-to-mini cable, but I can see that it's upgraded my computer's sound quality immensely, although it does not have the gain that the iMic had.

Unfortunately, I really don't understand what exactly the Audiophile USB does when used merely as a playback device. I presume it has a DAC built into it or I would not hear anything at all, but I've read of people using these devices behind a USB-to SPDIF, in front of another DAC, or both. The iFi's are a decent fit for my desk setup so I am not considering upgrading them to other powered monitors just yet, but I wonder if I'd hear a significant difference if (1) I added something like the HagUSB at the front end, (2) added something like the Scott Nixon TubeDAC after the Audiophile USB, with a coax out, (3) got both a front end and a DAC, or (4) got rid of the Audiophile USB and replaced it with a USB-capable DAC like the Scott Nixon's or PS Audio DAC III.

Bear in mind that most of my listening at work is actually iTunes stuff or emusic.com VBR MP3 at around 192 bps, that I have enabled the Audiophile USB in the Mac MIDI/Audio applet, and have turned off iTunes' equalizer completely. (I do listen to CDs and occasional Apple lossless material and absolutely know the difference in SQ compared to MP4 and MP3.) Is what I am interested in overkill for this system? Thanks for any input you can offer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - M-Audio Audiophile USB with other devices - Mike Rubin 11:38:59 03/02/07 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.