Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Interesting EAC results

Hi gang:

I got some "glitches" on a rip I did a few weeks back. I took the same disk and experimented with it.

I have ripped the same track over 12 different times now changing the following variables"

-Normal and High extraction priority.
-Medium and High error recovery quality.
-Secure (various modes), Fast and burst modes.
-4x to 48x extraction speed, and "actual"
-enabled and disabled "allow speed reduction".
-enabled and disabled the "spin up" option.

Here are four example iterations.

Rip1:
Extraction Priority = high
Error recovery = high
Secure mode, Accurate Stream, "Caching capable" selected, C2 not selected.
Burn speed = actual (w/ allow reduced speed enabled).
Actual speed about 2.5X
Results? No gliches.

Rip2:

Extraction Priority = medium
Error recovery = medium
Secure mode, Accurate Stream, "Caching capable" selected, C2 not selected.
Burn speed = actual (w/ allow reduced speed enabled).
Actual speed about 5.0x
Results? No gliches.

Rip3:

Error recovery = medium
Fast (sychronized) mode
Burn speed = 40x (allow reduced speed disabled)
Actual speed about 8.0x
Results? No gliches.

Rip4:

Error recovery = medium
Burst mode
Burn speed = 40x (allow reduced speed disabled)
Actual speed was variable and crawled to over 30x
Results? No gliches.

Now here is the fun part.

If I subtract ANY file from any other file using a digital audio editing software package using a "mix paste/invert" function guess what happens?

I get a flat line. +/- ZERO bits. (Minbit=maxbit=ZERO,bitdepth=1).

Now I took some OLDER rips I did and subtracted THEM. I got +/- 1 ONE BIT errors. (Around -90.3 db).

Then I took a rip that was run through a genesis digital lense. I got +0/-1 db errors (Around -90.3 db). (Only 'negative one' bit errors!! Strange!

Then I took a rip I did a LONG time ago and compared it to more current iterations, not even knowing WHAT settings I used way back then. I got ZERO BITS - a straight line. This disc does has some scratches and wear on it too.

So. Are we being too paranoid with EAC? Or do I need to redo this experiment with 5 or more discs?

Most of the discs I rip now are brand spanking new. Maybe 2.5X is a thing of the past. If I can rip at 30X I can rip TEN TIMES as many discs this way in the same amount of time!! If they are "bit identical" then who cares? RIGHT?

Right?

One thing is for sure. Checking the FILE SIZE means nothing. The file size is like a container - it's always the same. Two files with the same size can easily have different information. Files that I did "GLITCH REMOVAL" on have BIZAARE differences with peaks measuring as high as -2db!! Most times it seems that "glitches" are simply ON THE DISC and show up no matter WHAT extraction method you use.

I encourage anyone who is making claims about "different extraction techniques" or is just concerned about their ripping process to experiment with "subtractive comparisons" of different rips. Your results might be as surprising for you as they were for me.

Comments?

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Interesting EAC results - Presto 13:19:08 03/01/07 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.