Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Firewire question for Steve Nugent, Gordon Rankin, and the other audio tinkerers.

I'll preface my question by stating that I have very little technical knowledge aside from being an avid googler. Having said that I have always been a little curious as to why usb seems to be becoming the default audio connection for computer audio. I've seen mentioned multiple times the sample rate limitations due to bandwidth and native driver problems or lack thereof in the case of USB2 support.

Thus I was always a little bewildered as to why firewire didn't become the de facto choice for the high end audio world despite the fact that it is less ubiquitous than usb. Although it never really caught on, I know there was an audio spec (A&M it seems to be called
http://www.ambisonic.net/dvd1394.html) for consumer devices which even went on to supposedly pass multichannel DSD if manufacturers such as Esoteric are to be believed. Further research into driver support eventually led me here (http://www.mlancentral.com/mlan_info/faq.php) which though designed by what appears to be Yamaha, and despite having no connection to the CE audio spec, seems to be a fully integrated audio protocol for multichannel audio and clock information over firewire with built in windows and mac support.

Not to muddy the already confusing waters, but am I overlooking something in the specification, or perhaps the royalties which might be involved in the use of mlan. Anyhow, until I can afford the cool toys you guys make, I have to amuse myself somehow. And since I'm a mac user with some extra firewire ports hanging about I'd love to see some 24/96 firewire audio goodness eventually sprout from my computer. Discuss...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Firewire question for Steve Nugent, Gordon Rankin, and the other audio tinkerers. - Audio_newb 00:12:05 02/28/07 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.