Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Convenience is iTunes on a Mac

Touché. You're absolutely right that digital audio can be too complex for many people. Any tools that lower the barrier to entry are definitely good things. None of the tools I mentioned come even close to falling below that bar.

However, my comments were about quality which is apropos to this forum. People that will never understand nor care about the complexities of digital audio do care about the nuances of the sound they get from their audio systems. While Apple does provide a simplified set of tools, they do so at the expense of these nuances, and the folks that buy into using them should understand the compromises. Perhaps Apple will address the issues I've seen in future releases of the software, but with the version out now there is indeed a difference in the rips using iTunes vs other software. Whether the differences are audible is another matter and I'll leave it others to decide about that.

In any case, I agree completely with your current point. Digital audio should be simple *and* accurate. The set of tools available today requires us to choose one side or the other. There's certainly room for improvement.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.