Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Thanks Thomas, Alan....so do I need to spend big bucks on the sound card or not?

Sorry if I have to disagree but this is digital only and has nothing to do with old school analog levels...

You want a card capable of bit transparent playback. I don't know whether the DAL CardDeluxe can do that but it probably can. Many $25 cards can do that and actually work bit perfect.

I would also not necessarily recommend an AES output in connection with a computer. Toslink will work the same way with the Lavry since it reclocks the incoming data anyhow and it ensures you won't transfer any electrical interference from the PC to the DAC. Optical will sound at least as good as AES/EBU but maybe better with a computer.

Any standard PC will do just fine, although from past experiences I would recommend a motherboard with an Intel chipset. I still have to find a machine where the quality of the power supply has any impact on the digital audio outputs.

Cheers

Thomas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.