Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Op-amps

Regarding the op-amps - yes there are too many. Initially, I too was not blown-away by the sound of even the best op-amps modded into the DAC-1. It was very good, better than most expensive DAC's, but lacked smoothness on the vocals. DAC's such as the Northstar with discrete transistor output were much more smooth. I was ready to use a discrete transistor stage in my new SS DAC design.

However, I recently eliminated one op-amp from each channel and changed the current-flow in the circuits. These changes made it smooth on vocals and improved the front-to-back layering, bringing it on-par with a discrete transistor output.

I'm back to using op-amps in my new SS DAC. They have much more capability and are easier to design with. DC-servo for instance is much more straight-forward. It believe that most of the bad-sounding op-amp designs are due to the design, not the op-amps. There are some excellent sounding op-amps available now.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Op-amps - audioengr 13:42:11 02/16/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.