Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: posts here on speakers are getting a bit stale..

Well, many of us here use high-end speakers and use a PC as a digital audio source.

A PC is a great source, but powered PC speakers usually have rather cheap fullrange drivers in them, and the subwoofers are closer to noise-makers than real subs.

I have heard some Monsoon computer speakers a long while back that sounded soooo AMAZING I almost bought a pair! lol

So, I don't think we're "stale" on PC speaks as much as it's pretty hard to find good quality (or so it seems). I really think low to middle end consumer electronics has gotten 10 times worse (SQ wise) in the past 5 years especially. It seems that since Ipods exploded, sound quality is simply lost on most people.

No offense, but c'mon. Turn up one of them "silver subwoofers" you get with modern multichannel speaker systems. Even at low volumes, the thing is bloated and sloppy, and sounds better when it's OFF. But you need it because the individual full range speakers are cheaper too, and don't go low enough to work WITHOUT the sub.

Hey - I listen to music on PC speakers all the time. They're old Altec Lansings that cost about $50. And honestly, I've heard the new $200 multichannel systems and they sound no better and worse in a lot of cases (especially with the floppy sub).

So there ya go. Change my negative thinking. Tell me a modern system that is worth the drive to Best Buy to listen to, and I'll give em a listen.

But I am not holding my breath!

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: posts here on speakers are getting a bit stale.. - Presto 23:05:52 02/12/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.