Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Issues with laptop volume and sound quality. Please help!

Hi, just replied to this on Tech Square, didn't realize how old the message was, but here's what I posted anyway, in case you see it:

The headphone jack on your notebook computer SHOULD be putting out a line-level signal. If you are sure you have a good cable that goes from the headphone jack to the NAD, it should be playing as before.

Check in the control panels of your notebook's OS, and make sure the volume is turned up. If it is, again, check the cable with something else, like connecting an iPod (or similar device) to it instead of your computer, and see how that plays.

Alternately, plug headphones into your computer, and check the sound level against the iPod. If the computer is noticably softer in volume from a portable music player, even with the computer volume up, you may have one more "hack" available...

...By your description, I'm assuming you have an NAD 3020, or something by them of similar vintage. There is a small preamp behind the headphone jack on the front panel of the NAD that is an identical circuit to the NAD's main preamp. Plug a stereo cable into the NAD's headphone jack that terminates in 2 RCA plugs, pull the "pre out - main in" jumpers out of the back of the NAD, and plug the cable from the headphone jack into the "normal in" or "lab in" inputs. You have just doubled the strength (gain) of the preamp.

And yes, it should be perfectly safe, especially if I'm correct and it's a 3020.

BT

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Issues with laptop volume and sound quality. Please help! - BrassTeacher 16:08:00 02/12/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.