Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Installed Vista on the weekend

The installation process was a lot more difficult than I thought, and ended up taking most of the weekend.

I think a straight consumer install should be relatively straightforward (apart from the difficulty of finding supported drivers and applications - I spent half the weekend just hunting around for updated versions of apps and drivers).

However, my home environment is probably atypical in that it is a fully Active Directory managed environment, with a Windows 2003 domain controller, software deployed through Group Policy, roaming user profiles plus heterogeneous items like a Linux based MythTV server and a 1.2TB NAS.

Installing Vista turned out to be quite challenging because so many things have changed from an administration perspective. Group Policy admin templates have been vastly enhanced, making it impossible to configure policies on anything other than a Vista workstation. I had problems with Group Policy permissions before I could get the server to push software onto Vista. Also, user profiles have changed dramatically, and Vista can not share user profiles with XP. With some folder redirection hacking though (with the help of Microsoft) I can make Vista user profiles share common data (like My Documents, Desktop, Favorites etc.) with XP profiles.

So those of you running a managed environment, be warned. Installing Vista is not a trivial exercise.

The user interface is very pretty - I like the translucent look on taskbars and window borders.

What about audio? My experience is limited to Windows Media Player 11 and the RealTek HD Audio driver, since I'm too chicken to install non-Vista certified players.

There are some NICE improvements in the RealTek drivers - I can finally configure SPDIF out to support sample/bit rates other than 48/16 (anything from 32 to 192 kHz is supported at both 16- and 24-bits). Also, room correction is supported.

And finally, we are not locked into 48kHz 16-bit in Windows Media Player. It's possible to change the default sample rate (to 44.1kHz for instance). So, there's no more need to bypass kmixer for bit transparency. Also, it's possible to configure audio post processing (such as Dolby Virtual Speaker) directly in Media Player.

So far, I have not seem many Vista certified audio applications, apart from Sonar 6.2 (which I may install and play around with).

Driver availability and stability is a real issue. I can't find Vista drivers for any of my pro audio devices, and some of the drivers appear rather unstable (eg. the NVidia display driver keeps crashing whenever I play videos).

So anyway, Vista seems promising, once drivers for pro audio devices and certified audio apps become available.

PS - I'm posting this from a Vista PC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Installed Vista on the weekend - Christine Tham 14:08:24 02/11/07 (35)

You can not post to an archived thread.