Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: How do you access coax spdif?

Hinduclient:

The mic in (jack on the right side of card looking at back of PC) is what they call a "flexijack". You can select it's function between line in, mic in and digital out.

For digital out, you just use a cable that is 1/8" mono miniplug on one end and rca on the other, OR use a '1/8" mono miniplug to rca adapter" and use the digital cable of your choice. (I like the latter method).

Don't worry about a 1/8" miniplug not having a 75ohm characteristic impedance like the SPDIF spec calls for. RCA jacks do not have this either! ;) Only a BNC jack has a 70ohm characteristic impedance... these are only used for clock signals in prosound apps (typically) in North America.

It's a decent spdif output. I ran it into my Behringer DCX2496 and it sounds as good as the SPDIF out of my M-Audio Revolution.

The biggest thing about the SPDIF out of the X-fi is that it *IS* supported under ASIO, where the M-Audio revo SPDIF is not!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.