Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: ASIO is required for a PC for anything unless the unit comes with it's own driver.

Thanks for this Gordon (and Crimson).

Gord thanks for the offer but I won't call - I live in Switzerland actually, so I'm just a little ways away.

I have read the Macs handle audio so much better but absolutely all my sw is for PC. I'm aware that you can run PC softs on the newer Macs but my reading of the PC audio stuff is that a really low (as in P3 800 GHz and say a gig of RAM) end PC is all that is needed for pure audio streaming, which is all that I am going to have this PC do. I also want to control this PC through either VNC or the Remote Desktop facility of XP on one of those slick new ultramobile PC's (UMPC)....so my thinking is I may just buy some old box on the net and add new drives and upgrade the RAM and stick on XP. Noise is not an issue as this PC will be in the basement below my listening room.

So I am not looking to spend alot of money on the PC itself and I have a feeling I'd need to do that if I went the Mac route (aside from the loss of the UMPC remote).

My question about ASIO was just to straighten out one unknown for me in the chain. So even though I feel more inclined to go with something like the Scott Nixon USB DAC I now know that I need to download whatever ASIO files or plugins my system will need.

I'm quite at home with building my own PCs and futzing around with software etc. but I gotta say its a bit of a slog trying to grind out all the learning curve on these forums. I know every question has probably been addressed hundreds of times before but the search facility here on the AA boards doesn't really lend itself to zeroing in on the answers.

Heck, I just want to build a headless PC music server and equip it with the various softs/ASIO plugins that I'll need to do the best job I can do at getting bitperfect music data feeding into my audio chain. And I guess I want to stick to a budget of something around $1,000 including the USB-DAC (or soundcard as I am still not ruling out going that route). My reading is this should be possible but it seems to me there's lot's of little gotchas along the way.

Thanks again,

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.