Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Don't forget Pioneer

I personally use a Plextor Premium and I know it's controversial but I have very good results (lower BLER & Jitter) using GigaRec (0.8x) This elongates the pits and lands creating a disc that is 80% of normal. (A 74 minute CD-R will only fit 59 minutes) This is similar to the "AudioMasterQuality" that Yamaha used to use and which is now licensed to use on the Plextor Premium 2. (Unfortunately the Premium 2 is not currently available in the U.S.) I think their method is closer to 85%.

But here's an interesting thread about a review conducted by C't magazine in Germany.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45551
You can still get the Pioneer DVR-111D at newegg. It had really good results (if you are only concerned with burning)

But this is only half the story. You need to use quality blank CD-Rs. Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs give me the lowest BLER & Jitter, but here again is another controversial subject. Some people swear by Gold or Black CD-Rs. If you want to try those, then go with the best gold which is Mitsui Gold (MID: 97:27:56) still made by HHB, or the Prodisc Black. I can hear a difference between these 3, but I'm not going to get into that now. You simply have to decide for yourself.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Don't forget Pioneer - edward 19:41:31 02/07/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.