Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Thanks, you made me realize

*** even if the thought makes the ASIO designers shiver ***

LOL!

I don't think it will make them shiver, but you have to remember ASIO was never designed as a general purpose interface.

ASIO was originally designed by Steinberg to connect their digital audio workstation software (Cubase/Nuendo) to audio hardware. Because all the mixing is done by the DAW, what was needed was a direct connection between the DAW and the audio hardware that bypasses the Windows audio stack (to preserve bits and minimize latency).

I think PC audiophiles latched onto ASIO because it was also a convenient way for a music player app to bypass kmixer.

*** It is weird, because I do have asio set up in Foobar, and the lynx mixer reports 32 bits. ***

It's probably the foobar2000 asio implementation opening the ASIO device in 32 bits. In other words, the foobar2000 asio output plugin is doing the 16-bit to 32-bit conversion (which is a bit naughty).

otachan used to have a foobar2000 ASIO plugin (version 0.8 only). Unfortunately, it's no longer available for download.

*** Finally on your 1212, is there a similiar volume control as in the lynx mixer? ***

You can control volume using PatchMix. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way of automating PatchMix (ie. control PatchMix functions from another program).

Actually, I would probably advise against using the E-MU for consumer applications. It is very pro-audio centric (quality and functionality above usability).

The PatchMix interface is rather daunting and has a steep learning curve - it closely resembles a pro audio mixer console. You may want to take this into account if your friend is not very PC literate. For example, just to change sample rates requires you to define and load a customized PatchMix session.

It's very difficult to change sample rates on the E-MU hardware because unlike the Lynx the E-MU uses dedicated clocks for each sample rate, so to change from 44.1 to 96 kHz for example effectively requires the DSP and DAC to be "rebooted" to a different clock.

The benefit of dedicated clocks (as opposed to the Lynx for example which uses clock synthesis) is much lower jitter, hence better sound quality.

At least the E-MU does allow sample rate changes via software. The other equipment I have that also uses dedicated clocks (an Edirol StudioCanvas) requires the device to be turned off and on again to change sample rates!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.