Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Huh?

What's so strange about the specs? Doesn't say anything about "extra" filter to me. You do realise that every DAC needs a low pass analog filter post DAC, don't you, and that E-MU is simply describing the characteristics of this filter?

*** There is a low pass filter other than the brickwall filter. I read this in a review before I decided not to buy the 1212M. ***

If you are referring to the low pass analog reconstruction filter, then yes every DAC needs one (and it is separate from the digital oversampling brickwall filter). This is also the case for the RME and Lynx and in fact the majority of DAC designs, so you shouldn't buy them either.

The only DACs that don't have two filters are non-oversampling or non-sigma delta modulated designs (which are in a tiny, and disappearing, minority).

*** Just because you own one and seem to think that you are the only authority, there is no need to accuse people of lying. ***

No, I don't think I am the "only" authority, but I do speak from experience. If you truly believe there is some sort of extra "evil" filter in the 1212M (over and above the digital filter and the required analog reconstruction filter), why don't you show us exactly where it is located on the circuit board?

Incidentally, since you are so hot against "extra" filters and "band width limiting", you do realise that this is exactly what upsampling is? Upsampling is a fancy term for an extra, redundant, "band limiting" digital filter.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.