Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Since you're into DIY....

I have built the Hagerman Chime DAC, which was a very rewarding experience. It sounds fantastic, and has a USB input. PCM1704 converters, USB input, reclocking, synchronous oversampling, phase switch, many other design aspects that make it very appealing on paper. I find that it has a huge soundstage, great detail, and resolves timbre very well. It has a built in volume control, but it only outputs 1.2 volts maximum, so it would have to be carefully paired if it is to be used without a preamplifier. I could write more, but this isn't a review of the Chime, so check out Hagerman's website and see what you think.

Another DAC I would recommend would be the Lavry DA10. A friend of mine recently bought one, and it sounds great in his system. No USB input, but it has excellent features. Includes a built in headphone amp, an resistor based attenuator, discrete output stage (I'm pretty sure there's no op amps, but not positive). I want to compare them in my system, but I haven't had the chance. When I have listened to the Lavry I have been impressed by detailed yet smooth the sound is, not very digital sounding at all. I have a similar impression of the Chime.

I use itunes and a USB cable with my Chime all the time. I'm listening to the Chime via G4 ibook w/itunes right now, in my bedroom setup with my AKG K1000 headphones. I've been thinking about getting a network attached storage device to store my music. Right now my files are on a portable external HD, but I'm running out of space.

A USB dac in a computer setup is cheaper to implement, since otherwise you'd have to get a Squeezebox and a good digital cable (Stereovox is an excellent choice), which adds $400-500. With USB you'd only need a USB cable, and even premium ones are only $30. No matter which way you decide to go, I recommend getting a lot of RAM for your laptop. That will make it sound better, and make ripping more effective as well.

Good luck with your music server project. No matter which way you go, you have the potential for great sound.

-Aaron.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.