Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Can I improve on this system???

Sure you can do better. Though if your Dell is using the SoundMax built-in sound like most of the recent ones, I'd say it is one of the best 16bit cards/chipsets around (and I've measured and listened to lots of them). On the two Dell motherboards using the SoundMax that I've played with, I found no sign of spurious tones from internal computer noise and very low distortion and just plain good sound. Just mentioning this because you may upgrade and find the improvement isn't as much as you expected, when using 16bit and less than 96kHz source material.

Though, if you have the $$ and motivation in that direction, a Lynx, CardDeluxe, or Juli@ card will be a step up.

And in case you are, don't use the Windows mixer as your volume control. The card should be always set to play at its full level out, and be controlled between it and the amp with an analog volume control. The Windows mixer or built-in level control (on most cards, anyway) just loses bits of resolution when used to turn down volume. It's surprising how many people are using their expensive soundcards playing only about 12 bits capability because the converters aren't being fully utilized... changing this can make a drastic improvement.

Should your machine have some sort of built-in "...Blaster" card, or (shudder) an "AC97" generic, or a Realtek, then yes, get something else, there's a lot to be improved. If cost is an object, cards based on the Envy chipset (such as CHAINTECH AV-710) are quite decent and can be had for under $30 by mailorder from places like NewEgg. (The Chaintech, by the way, is one of the few cards that has an analog volume control (digitally controlled) following the converter to preserve all the resolution.

-my$0.02

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Can I improve on this system??? - bwaslo 21:22:28 02/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.