Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Macintosh Based Music Server

G-man raises key point that is fundamental to your choices. If you already know this I am sorry etc....

There are two good ways to get data off a hard drive and into your preamp (Mac or Win but you are so on the right track with Mac): they are USB and Ethernet.

Wavelength Audio - Gordon's Brick is the classic example of a USB device. Practically speaking this means that the play list/song selection must be controlled from the computer. In your model, you would do this using iTunes. Using Opticis fiber USB cable you can have the DAC a good way away (hundreds of feet) but there is a certain connection that gets lost if you are in the far location doing the listening and can't control the playlist.

The Slim Devices Squeezebox is the classic example of a network device. Meaning that it is hanging out there on a network - just like a printer, modem etc. The Squeezebox (SB) can be very effectively modded - Wayne at Bolder Cable is the leading luminary in the space. The unit can be set up to output via SPDIF to a DAC of your choosing then onto a pre etc; or can be set up as an analog source. The SB comes with a remote and can be controlled by any browser based PDA, tablet etc. Meaning that you can sit in the space with the SB and your playback devices.

Now the really great news here is that a single iTunes Library (the name of the folder where the ripped music lives) supports both USB and SB simultaneously and of course will also support your iPod, iPhone etc. So it is not a committing move...

If you have a big house and/or plenty o' bux you might want to look into a NAS (Network area storage) unit to store everything. Otherwise you are correct, a 3-500Gb external drive is the way to go. I have no idea what it means but I have about 15,000 unique songs (cuts) on 325Gb of a 400Gb drive using Apple Lossless - about 1,150-1,200 CDs. My preference is SATA which cannot be implemented on your G4 - either USB or FW drives will work - just do yourself a favor and get a case with a fan from someone like Granite. Get a enterprise level unit from any of the majors and be sure to budget for a back-up drive - need not be on except when its being used.

In case there is any doubt, while the Win camp can make an argument for EAC/FLAC etc, it is simply impossible to beat iTunes for quality + integration of all the aspects of ripping, playing and organizing digital music + sonic quality + plus the support of one of the great computer companies in history.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.