Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Macintosh Based Music Server

I have been pretty firmly set in the analog audio camp but it seems that digital is starting to sound good enough that the convenience of a music server is starting to be enticing. I'm diy capable - have refurb'd amps, built pre-amps, phono amps, amps from kits. DIY or gracefully used seem to usually be the best bang for the buck choices.

My primary goals in selecting equipment are
1) VERY Good quality sound on my tube based Mcintosh system ( refurb'd 240 and MX110) into either Cornwalls or Tannoy Reds. Preferably equal to a Rega Apollo at minimum but hopefully better.
2) Reliability.
3) Ease of use from ripping CDs to playing my music.

I happen to have a g4 ibook w/ 10.4 installed that isn't seeing a lot of use these days and was thinking about using it as the basis for a music server.Is the g4 ibook a good choice, would it need modifications or should I start with a different platform?

I was thinking that I would want a minimum 400GB hard drive to attach to the G4 and that I would need an external DAC to connect to either the preamp or amps. Recommendations for a DAC and hard drive?

I figured that I would just colocate the computer and stereo and not use wifi. What's the best way to connect the computer and DAC - USB? or ethernet? or...?? Do I use iTunes or is there something better (please remember ease of use is important.)?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Macintosh Based Music Server - jcmjrt 12:28:30 02/02/07 (13)

You can not post to an archived thread.