Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: why?

If I run the Envy chip with a precision clock at 24576kHz, there wouldn't be a need for a Master/Slave setup, right!?!
This clock would be the source clock for the I2S bus and indirectly the source for clocking the DAC.

Proper buffering, if needed, would most probably be the biggest problem.
(I have to look up if the Envy chip buffers samples!)

One more thought ( a bit refering to my current setup):
Since the PCI interface is working in burst modes, as far as I understood, and USB is actually hooked on the PCI bus, it is more then evident that the IRQ handling will impact the stream heavily,
most probably even more impacting the USB bus .
The worse your PC Latency, an indicator for pretty poor interrupt handling, the more problems you'll run into, unless you have a perfect buffer management seperated from the IRQ management of the PC.

This might be the reason, why my realtime Linux system sounds far better than any other OS on my PCM2707. It allows me to run
buffer sizes at 1 sample, without getting xruns. Very close to realtime I'd say.

My PCM2707 delivers much better quality, when runnning these low buffer sizes, even though it buffers 3 samples on its own!

Aren't we talking about two or three different types of jitter in general anyhow?
The one related to electrical parameters incl. clocks and the other one related to the IRQ handling? Perhaps there is another one related
to samplerate mismatch related to the clock. (Offline upsampled 48kHz material sounds far better then 44,1kHz material in my case!)

Anyhow - I still don't feel to have the right logic in mind of how to approach the issue! (Perhaps I'd buy myself a Lynx 2 - That would be too easy though.)

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: why? - kls 02:53:13 02/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.