Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Not too bad

We're both quite pleased with the modifications we've done to our similar cards, but I think going all out isn't practical. It would be far easier to do extensive power supply and clock mods on one of the many inexpensive dac boxes. If you want multi-channel, I think my method is more practical - one op amp stage to cancel the DC offset from the DACs and drive the output. Look at the datasheet for the AD1852 and notice the reference circuit uses no coupling capacitors and only one op amp. That's what I used as a model. You'll want to upgrade the op amps in this case.

I have not worked out the power supplies on the board completely. The DAC chips would be better with separate analog and digital supplies, but I'm not sure the card was implemented that way, other than seeing that there are 3.3, 5, 8, and -8 regulators. My card has RC filtering between the +/12v pci bus fingers and the +/-8v regulators, so that's good. I think your's is similar.

About all I plan to do still with my card is upgrade some of the power supply capacitors. The 4mm SMT electrolytics I can't do much with, but I will try to replace the 6mm ones with 7mm polymer, solid, or polymer Ta types once I sort out the available options. I may also stack them (like nos dac chips!) a couple high.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not too bad - Mark Kaepplein 13:57:53 01/31/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.