Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: What is the best software for removing pops and crackles from vinyl?

Hi DBB. It seems I'm doing the same as you, recording my vinyl. My procedure:

1) washing my vinyl immediately before recording (played by Kuzma and Lyra Clavis DC) using a VPI washing machine.
2) record in 24/96 format via an M-Audio Firewire 410 into my Powerbook using Amadeus (either II or Pro, doesn't matter).
3) all editing is done in the hirez format: Depending on the sound quality of the vinyl I use only ClickRepair (more serious and sometimes time-consuming work) or the Repair Center of Amadeus Pro (faster, but misses a few clicks and Pops). I also have SoundSoap 2 (not the pro version), but this is too intransparent in what it does for my taste. I use the noise filtering option of SoundSoap only on VERY noisy material and with low settings. Usually it is better to leave the basic vinyl-noise as it is since it is usually masked anyway by the music. Only if there are quiet section in the music you may want to cut this section out (take care of cutting at the zero-crossings) and do a careful filtering using SoundSoap on this part only.
4) Once I have a cleaned AIF file I split it into tracks and burn it to hirez DVD-A using DVD-audiofile. Ususally I can fit 6 sides of LPs onto one DVD-A in hirez.
5) If you consider burning your music to CDs, i.e. downsampling to 44.1 and reducing bit-depth to 16, be sure to use an application with a high quality DSP algorithm for downsampling and the POW'R dithering algorithm for reducing bit-depth. In Peak Pro 5 you have both but it's not the cheapest application. The PeakLE 5 version does not have these high quality DSP features, while PeakLE 4 had. Befure using any other audio application for these DSP operations, be sure they are using high quality DSP and dithering algorithms.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What is the best software for removing pops and crackles from vinyl? - treefrog 01:11:32 01/29/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.