Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Better compressed sound enhancer--pioneer or yamaha?

Hello,

I'm deciding between two receivers: the Pioneer 1016, and the Yamaha 659. I listen to music from two sources: my mp3/AAC collection (ripped at high bit rates) and XM radio. Both the Pioneer and the Yamaha have features for enhancing compressed music. (I paste a blurb and a link for each below.) This is a crucial feature for me and will probably determine which receiver I get.

Does anyone know which receiver has the better compressed music enhancement feature?

Also, will the feature work on both XM and music streaming in from my computer (via an optical cable)?

Thanks!!!

1. The Yamaha

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/topics/n600/cme.html

The Compressed Music Enhancer is a new function that is intended mainly to create harmonics from the remaining music data utilized by DSP, focusing on the fact that the music elements that are lost when the original music is digitally compressed are mainly the harmonics. It combines High Frequency Expansion Processing with Low Frequency Emphasis Processing that emphasizes the bass by creating a super-low range component. These processes vividly revive the range, presence, force and dynamism of compressed music.

2. The Pioneer

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069657_310200478,00.html

Pioneer A/V receivers use a refined technology called hi-bit sampling to enhance digital audio. This conversion technology extrapolates musical information lost in the digital recording process of WMA or .mp3 files. It then adds the information back in to create music with a fuller and warmer sound. In other words, it fills in the “digital gaps.” It’s similar to the BMX technology used in car stereos, but designed for the home.

Pioneer’s current home theater systems feature Sound Retriever Digital Sound Processing, which improves the quality of compressed audio files by digitally processing audio data to “fill in” information that is left out when files are compressed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Better compressed sound enhancer--pioneer or yamaha? - joshcowboy1@yahoo.com 05:29:44 01/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.