Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Time to set the music free!

For the past year or so I've been eagerly anticipating a time when I could buy a decent pair of speakers and amp so I could trash my computer speakers and really get to my growing music collection. I’ve been considering going the USBDAC route. I’m quite excited, as I’ve been living with my computer/soundcard/speaker setup for years, and all my waiting is about to come to an end!

I've got around $4000 to spend on a setup, but could possibly go to $4500 if I had to. I’m thinking of going from my computer (using lossless WMA) to a Scott Nixon USBTD to a NAD C372 to either Vandersteen 2ce Sigs or the Paradigm Reference Studio 100’s. My room is about 16’x19’ with 9’ ceiling. I’m also going to upgrade my headphones and get a headphone amp, but that will be secondary. I also realize I’ll have to have some $ leftover for speaker wire, interconnects and a decent audio stand, which I’m currently lacking. I figure this setup should work well within my budget constraints, but it always seems like I miss something.

So, a couple of things if you guys don’t mind. I’m finding it hard to find direct information on how a USB DAC works. Does it simply plug into the USB port on the computer? I know it can’t be that simple. Also, if any of you guys have any pointers or recommendations before I jump in headfirst and start buying equipment it would be greatly appreciated, because in the past I’ve been saved some major headaches and bucks with some good info from this forum.

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Time to set the music free! - freaknhell 11:36:03 01/22/07 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.