Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

just got one

I received mine just before the holidays and have had it for about a month. It's supposedly a slightly different (better) circuit, and the enclosure ("UFO") is a bit different (still just about as unattractive as the last one). I also got the upgraded power supply. I haven't been able to a/b it directly against anything, so you must take what I say with a mound of salt, but it's easily my favorite digital front end that I've owned (also the cheapest). I've owned the level 2 Underwoodhifi modded Jolida tubed cd player and the ueber modded Samsung that Ric Schultz from EVS made for a short while. Probably not as transparent as the EVS unit, but far more musical/enjoyable in my opinion. The modded Jolida sounded to me as though it was always trying really hard to give me that extra bit but never could.

A member on another audio board who's had experience with many of the Nixon dacs swears the latest model blows the previous ones out of the water, and I don't doubt it. I've also added a VH Flavor 4 power cord, NOS Tesla 6922 gold pin tube, and disabled the two blue LEDs on the front. I drive it from a MacBook/iTunes/Applelossless. It really does sound sweet. I like to listen to a lot of internet radio when I'm not critically listening, and it's really sick how good some stations can sound being so ridiculously compressed.

For being an AC powered dac, it's pretty quiet. I have to turn it up about 80% of the way and hold my ear over the speakers before I hear any noise from it at all (into a Red Wine Audio Sig 30 and Viston B200s on open baffle). It unfortunately can't be battery powered for some reason. I have no interest in upgrading to anything else at the time, but it would be fun/interesting to upgrade the output caps to VH Audio V-Cap teflons and drop in a Superclock 4 : )

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.