Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: PCI card D/A conversion versus Asynchronous SPDIF output

Keith:

DACs:

a)Behringer DCX2496 (AK4393 dacs but *interesting* pre-out stage)
b)Marantz SR6200 (using God knows what)

Don't scoff at the Marantz. I think it sounds *better* than the DCX when comparing apples to apples (using the DCX only as a DAC and not a crossover). Then again, sounding better than the DCX is or isn't a great feat depending on who you ask! ;)

The reason I am using "mediocre at best" DACs is because I need 6 channels to do tri-amping. I could go with a Benchmark DAC1 for $1300 Canadian, but then I would need to upgrade my outboard crossover.

*OR* I could do my crossover functions using DSP and use a digital soundcard with three digital outputs to three DACs. (Getting expensive though).

*OR* I could revisit going through the pain of designing passive crossovers (or just buying good speakers). This is starting to look like a good option again. But, being a DIY speaker building and "tri-amping advocate" this definately goes against my audiophile "grain".

Even if I go passive, I am still going to use the Thunueau Arbitrator to handle phase-error correction. I'm not a 1st order acoustic crossover fan.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.