Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

One thing about your X-Fi there.

Frank:

Hey no sweat Frank.

Just one thing to mention. Keep the X-Fi around. I am still not sure what the jitter situation is coming out of that card - and it *does* do SPDIF in "Audio Creation / ASIO" mode, meaning you can stream to the card using an ASIO output plugin. Otachan's ASIO output plugin has a built in Upsampler too! :o)

To be honest, I have my druthers about SPDIF out of a PC. USB is looking more and more attractive, simply because it so neatly sidesteps the jitter issue by sending only the audio data over, where it is clocked at the receiver end. SPDIF in asynchronous mode can be very jitter prone. SPDIF in synchronous mode requires hardware that can be set up in master/slave mode. Lynx cards have a sync cable, meaning that they can be operating in synchronous mode with a DAC, and the DAC can be slaved to the Lynx (or the other way around) so that you only have ONE clock source (the master). This is *allegedly* much better but is not necessarily a panacea depending on who you talk to.

But keep the X-fi. My X-fi Xtreme Music was had for $99. If it can do a decent SPDIF with ASIO it's worth keeping around. I'm gonna find out why it sounds different than my other SPDIF outs that I've experimented with. I honestly can't say whether it's worse, better or just plain different. But for some reason (probably jitter numbers) it *IS*.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • One thing about your X-Fi there. - Presto 09:01:56 01/16/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.