Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: CD rip speed variances

I see the same thing with iTunes. Most discs rip between 10x and 15x While some rip between 1 to 3x. It has to do with error correction because when I turn off the error correction, those discs rip as fast as the others. Scratches don't seem to make a difference because most well used scratched discs that I have rip fast.

Another thing that I notice is when I play these back from the hard drive they are very much improved sonically as compared to playing back the CD. On discs that rip fast, I hear no difference between hard drive and CD playback. For me the perfect axample is Eric Clapton's Me and Mr Johnson. I like the music, but the disc sounded very poorly mastered to the point that I hardly ever listened to it. Playing the error corrected version from the hard drive is a revelation in sonic improvement.

I think that it comes down to the quality of the glass master or mold used to make the CD. The CD player reads real time and struggles to read the data. When ripping with error correction, the data is read multiple times until it is right, but this slows down the overall ripping process.

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.