Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Foo_Xover plugin answers. All of them. At once. (Long)

"If I loose 2 of my Lynx 2bs outputs with Foobar, then this is no longer a viable options."

I don't think so...this was just the case with the X-fi I was experimenting with. I think there are few Allocator/Lynx 2B users on the Thuneau forum - maybe post there as well. I think the X-Fi ASIO mixing capabilities (as impressive as they are) do not have a "back door" way of piping the audio stream onto the ASIO bus. You then need to use Front L/R channels to import the audio stream. Then, you have 6 out of 8 channels left for use with the Allocator outputs. There may be a way to do channel routing/assignments (or perhaps channel shifting) so that all 8 are usable.

Thinking Lynx 2B allows use of all 8 though...would need to confirm with Jan.

"Also if I could be so bold as to include Patrick Cazales in your list of helpful people."

Sure, but he was not on the list because I only was acknowleging the specific people who's work I was referencing in my post. There's Denis Sbragion with DRC as well... there are *so* many helpful people out there... like I said, that was not a "all inclusive list", but just thank-you's for those who's material I linked to.

"Finally, have you tried the Foobar xover with onboard 5.1 audio options?"

No - but xover would not work for 5.1 audio. It's a 2-in 8-out crossover plugin. You would need 6-in 11-out for 5.1 with two-way satellites and 6-in 16-out for 5.1 with three-way satellites... etc. etc. If you attempt to use xover with multichannel plugins, it's only going to "see" the front L/R channels and divide THEM, and do nothing with the center, rear and sub channels. (At least that is how I imagine it would go.)

That's not to say it can't be done - but not with xover (or Allocator or Aedio crossovers) as they are currently written. It would take DSP-multiple-instance tricks and other channel mapping tricks to work - not to mention all those channels you would need to export (so multiple soundcards and the issues with *that* would also come into play).

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.