Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thanks for the article - gave me a good laugh

This comment was a real howler:

*** it's no longer possible to create one-size-fits-all
drivers for an entire range of devices like the current
Catalyst/Detonator/ForceWare drivers. ***

Someone obviously forgot to tell ATI and NVidia, because NVidia has released production versions of Vista x32 and x64 Forceware unified drivers on January 4, and ATI's unified driver is in beta test. Realtek has also released production unified audio drivers.

I suspect this article was written a while ago (despite the Jan 4 last updated date). The author poses a question:

*** Has anyone actually been able to *play* HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content
(i.e. the material that Vista classes as premium content) under Windows? If
so, what HD drive, player software, graphics card, and monitor did you use? ***

Cyberlink released PowerDVD Ultra a few weeks ago, which allow HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback on both XP and Vista, and lots of users are reporting no issues with playback (using the Xbox 360 HDDVD drive). LG has announced at CES a PC drive that supports both BluRay and HDDVD playback (but it only burns BluRay so it's not quite the ultimate universal optical drive).

Anyway, by coincidence, Microsoft sent me nice email yesterday announcing they have just shipped Vista to me (via MSDN) so I'll look forward to Vista disabling my SP/DIF output when I play the DSTOM SACD and turning my non HDCP graphics card into a "brick." Someone, I don't think that will happen, but hey I'm prepared to be surprised.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.