Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

PS Audio digitial link III

I have been posting for a couple weeks trying to figure out what digital converter to use on my new computer. My computer only has PCI-Express card slots, so all the good cards don't work (I was hoping to get a Lynx.) That left me with only the USB option, and I wasn't finding anything suitable that did ADC (recording from a tapedeck) and DAC (playback through my computer.)

What I have decided to do is get the PS Audio Digital Link III, which is only a DAC, and forego my music archiving for awhile (this unit does not do ADC.)

What I like about this unit is that it has three selectable inputs: USB, Coaxial, and optical. In this manner, I can connect my computer AND my cheap CD player to it (my CD player becomes a transport.) On the front panel, I just select what I want to listen to (it also has automatic source detection.)

This should now give me a kick-butt audio signal from my computer, and make my $200 CD player sound like a $2,000 CD player. WITHOUT having to switch out connections on the back to do so.

(My regular CD player crapped out, and I have been toiling over purchasing a new mega CD player.)

The tube converters, on the surface, don't appeal to me. I don't like the idea of a tube going bad, or getting broken, and having to replace it. The tube converters seem to be alot of show, they are so "pretty" that you almost need to build a mini-stand for them and put them on display. My converter is going to end up in my stack somewhere, on top of my computer, or next to it, or wherever is practical. My McIntosh system already sounds "warm."

Does anyone have expereince with the new PS Audio digitial link III? It is more expensive than what I was willing to spend for just a DAC, but the specs and features have me sold. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I lay my money on the table? Any comments regarding my dislike for tubes or reasons why I should consider tubes?

24 bit 192khz, 8 times oversampling, XLR and RCA outputs, selectable inputs, large power supply.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - PS Audio digitial link III - Scrimage 15:02:27 01/04/07 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.