Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Good question

That's a question I've been contemplating myself - a few times in the last couple of weeks when I've been too lazy to rip a CD to disk before playing it (and also want to see if I like it before I use disk space on it), I threw it into the PC and played the CD directly using itunes - and it sounded very good. I am going to have to rip a few to disk using itunes now and over time see if I feel I've gained or lost one way or the other. I actually prefer the WMP interface for the library, but could easily live with itunes if it sounds better. My remote logitech mouse works perfectly with both for volume and track skip.

I can't believe I haven't bothered to do that before really - because itunes on internet radio at 128k+ sounds rediculously good, I'm still constantly amazed at how good 128k bitrates can sound, esp late at night where the compression is a bonus for low level listening. Sure when a song you know comes on you can tell the difference, but it's a small price to pay for all that music piped into your home. I guess I just didn't want to start splitting my library because it would be a lot of work to reload it all to itunes now - and WMP sounds so good that I just didn't care enough to try.

The problem is I'm really sick of my CD's these days and I can no longer tolerate listening just to judge equipment - next time I get a new CD I'll burn it to itunes and use it there only, then after a couple weeks burn it to WMP. But I think they'll be very close in sonic quality - close enough that I doubt I'll care one way or the other. I use the EQ in both as well - if they lose their sound quality when the EQ is engaged they're no good to me, but both seem fine with EQ in place.

It seems like so many people here assume that the more exotic and complicated the solution, the better it therefore must sound. After reading posts of excited users about various players, plugings, streaming options, etc around here I've tried most at one time or other, but could never be bothered to switch. Nobody likes microsoft less than me these days as I'm a software professional myself, but nothing has managed to sway me from WMP yet, and I base my conclusions purely on listening pleasure. Given how much I like itunes on internet radio though, it might sway me if given a chance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Good question - longtimequadowner 10:43:44 01/04/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.