Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

another generalized PC kink

Gang,

As you all know I am pretty much sold on MAC stuff. I have been bringing online a development computer for use under several platforms.

I choose to get a higher end PowerBook loaded with both BootCamp and Parallels beefed up the memory to 2G and replaced the 60gb drive with a 160gb. Both cake too do in this platform.

Anyways... when Steve got his Crimson he realized that the PC would not take it. Well the good thing is that it made Steve run out and buy a MAC. On my HUSH PC the Crimson worked fine. But then again it has SDK on it and I have loaded some 100 different USB, Firewire and PCI level Audio stuff so who knows why, what whatever.

But the BootCamp gave the same error. The Crimson has totally custom code I wrote for it so the PC was complaining about 1 bit I had set. I sent Steve a new EEPROM and all was well.

But then I got to wonder about the USB controller and the driver code. I did some testing using the Crimson here with the HUSH with the Apple and found them to be about the same results.

Then I found out that there was a new BootCamp out better system drivers. I loaded it up and MAN what a difference. It kicked the s*((*)( out of the hush in tests.

A little synopsis is this... I think the good thing about Apple's stuff is they really try and get the most out of the hardware. Since they control that it's more consistent. Maybe not always better but always more consistent. I think with PC's the sky's the limit and not only vertically but horizontally. I think more time and effort needs to be applied for the best results.

I think some of the results from Burwen maybe system dependent as is with other products. I think even the low level streaming code could effect products. Even products with custom drivers attached to them.

Anyways, happy new year all!
I have to get back to work.
Thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • another generalized PC kink - Gordon Rankin 13:01:19 01/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.