Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

First impressions and questions.

Got a Roku Soundbridge M1001 for Christmas and my first taste of PC based audio. After ripping a few cds via eac, opted to run a direct wired connection between my windows based laptop and benchmark dac. Not having to get up to change the cd is pretty cool, but need another alternative than the Roku.

1st impressions sound wise are a cleaner, blacker background, but slightly less robust dynamics and depth than via my transport. The user interface is going to be a problem. It has a nice pretty display and remote, but with only a few cds ripped, scrolling with the remote is cumbersome and can’t see the display (old eyes). Something that puts the display physically closer to me would be better.

The user interface of the d-link mediabridge DSM-120 looks pretty ideal, but seems to have other issues.
http://reviews.cnet.com/D_Link_DSM_120/4505-6470_7-31561630.html?tag=pdtl-list

I’m also considering using my laptop as the interface and going with a converter. Something that is bit-perfect, externally powered and supports ASIO drivers seems to be the preferred method. But as Jessica Simpson says “ I don’t know what that means, but want it”. So far, I looking at the m-audio audiophile usb, emu 0404 usb and trends audio ud-10. Any comments on these or others?

Believe what your ears say - not hearsay.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - First impressions and questions. - saltyflies 10:45:33 01/01/07 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.