Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

The Burwen Bobcat Revisited

I was asked to do another post of my impressions of the Burwen Bobcat after living with it for about a month.

The Wavelength Crimson USB DAC has changed my initial impression of the Bobcat. I find that through this DAC, the Bobcat smoothes the sound at the expense of detail and micro dynamic changes. It appears to blunt high end transients.

On the other hand, when using the Wavelength Cosecant, I found the Bobcat to be a necessity. I also have found the Bobcat to be excellent for listening to classical music that would otherwise drive me up the wall with “hardness of sound”.

To quote Jim F.:

“Anyway, I'm quite sold on Bobcat. It may be nothing more
than a 21st-century tone control, but it sounds great.” I would agree if one considers the quality of the source material and the DAC.

Now for some controversy:

I have found the Mac OSX to be the best sounding operating system for music playback. Windows XP using Foobar, J. River, Winamp fall short. As fmak has previously pointed out, all of the ASIO plugins result in a different sound. Which is correct?

I know that a number of you folks use the SRC to improve your perceived sound. This is all well and good when one considers using the Burwen Bobcat. I just feel that the most natural sound on my system as been with the Mac OSX.

Getting back to the original question:

Yes I like the Burwen Bobcat and would recommend it just as some would recommend the SRC.

As this is probably my last post of the year, I would like to thank all of the contributors who have been so generous with their help and comments. I began computer audio last April and have learned a great deal from you folks. I would also like to recognize the contribution of two professional engineers who build great equipment for us: Steve Nugent and Gordon Rankin.

Happy New Year To All!

Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - The Burwen Bobcat Revisited - Mercman 10:20:03 12/31/06 (11)

You can not post to an archived thread.