Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Could a USB DAc like the Crimson get input from Squeezebox?

Here are the issues:

Jitter. Asynchronous solutions defeat jitter naturally, at least the jitter that comes from the transfer of data. All clocks have jitter, but the fewer times you have to clock it, the better.

S/PDIF conversion. Sending the signal out through S/PDIF also introduces jitter through bad terminations and reflections in cable. Also, any kind of conversion of the signal is undesirable if it can be avoided.

Dirty power. PC's and computer-based devices use switching power supplies and the signal originates in an area polluted with RFI and EMI.

The options:

USB DACs. The only ones that address the first problem are those that operate in asynchronous mode. Isochronous DACs are subject to jitter by being sensitive to the transfer rate of the data. The USB DACs that use I2S conversion avoid the second problem, S/PDIF conversion. They may or may not address the third problem, isolation.

Squeezebox and similar devices. I don't know if the Squeezebox addresses the first problem or the second. But it certainly solves the third problem, isolation from the computer.

Soundcards. Good soundcards address the first and second problems, but are the worst for the third problem, dirty power. I use a transformer volume control to isolate the computer from the rest of the system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.