Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Connect DAC direct via USB or Optical?

Hi all. I have a question regarding my upgrade path. I currently run music from my PC which goes via USB to my Edirole UA-1EX and through its RCA out to the amp. It is thus used as both a USB interface and DAC (and I'm sure its DAC section is far from ideal).

I want to upgrade and get an external DAC. If I get one with no USB input (e.g. X-Dac V3) there is no choice, but if I get one with USB input such as the new Musiland MD10 there would be two options:
1. keep Edirol and send optical digital out from it to optical in of DAC
2. connect DAC direct via USB

The differentiatior is that the Edirol has true ASIO 2.0 with its own drivers which work brilliantly. Many DACs with USB input (such as the MD10) use somewhat dodgy generic ASIO drivers which are more like wrappers for WDM or kernel streaming (such as ASIO2KS or ASIO4ALL).

Which would be the better option - optical through Edirol (true ASIO)or direct via USB (generic ASIO)? As an additional question also, what do you think of the higher-range stuff from the likes of Edirol such as the UA-5: Would their DAC sections be as good or close to those of dedicated DAC such as the MD10 or Zhaoulu?

Cheers,
X

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Connect DAC direct via USB or Optical? - Xenithon 05:22:54 12/30/06 (11)

You can not post to an archived thread.