Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

USB DAC advice, please

I just bought a new computer, and I want to use it to create CD's and also to source my stereo. I would be transfering low gen soundboards from my Nakamichi tape decks into the computer to get them in a digital state and create CD's. I also want to use the computer to play back my music on my stereo. I have high end stereo components, and sound quality is very important. I have been reading these forums to learn what the best route to take is, and what exactly it is that I need. I want to get high quality sound without getting all the features I don't need. I would like to use RCA cables to input/output from the computer.

My computer has a PCI express x16 card slot. While I was thinking of getting a juli@ card or something of that category, it seems that all of the cards use a standard PCI slot. It seems that a sound card is not an option.

Looks like I need a USB DAC. These seem to be very expensive, is this due to the "clocking" I read about? I don't use tube amps, so I don't think I want to get into that category(?) Is there a USB device that I can use to simply input into my computer and output to my stereo without other costly features?

I don't know what to expect to pay, but would grudgingly pay $1,000 if that's what I need to do to get quality sound. It seemed that the juli@ card was going to be a good deal, and now I'm confused. And like all of you, I don't have any spare money to blow on something that offers more bells and whistles than a simple guy like me will use.

Happy New Years to everyone, and thank you for any advice you have to offer. Even a one sentance response will be appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - USB DAC advice, please - Scrimage 13:11:18 12/29/06 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.