Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Sure it matters

Dynaudio:

First of all, you said you want ASIO support of spdif. Be careful here. Some cards that are "ASIO compliant" do not have ASIO support for SPDIF. A perfect example are the M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7.1 cards. Yes, they have ASIO driver - but not for the SPDIF; only for their analog I/O.

Second, you want to avoid cards that resample to 48 or 96 khz - you want a card that will do "bit-perfect" 16/44.1 for CD playback. If you are going with a high-buck card that is ASIO, this is likely a non-issue. But if you are going to go the "low-buck" route, the situation varies from card to card. A good low buck solution that will do bit-perfect 44.1 is a Chaintech AV710.

Cards with a C-media 9738 or 9768 chipset (for example) will often have a selectable 48 or 96 khz SPDIF output. This means 44.1 (RBCD) is going to be resampled. Older Creative cards (Audigy line for example) also do this.

I am not sure about the new Creative X-Fi line because I avoid Creative simply because their products are so geared towards the PC/Gamer market they almost always cause problems for audiophile applications.

There are also USB SPDIF solutions available if you want to go the USB route.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.