Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Clicks and pops, I finally found a solution for Foobar playback in Windows

Since starting out with using my Windows computer as a source for music playback, I have been plagued with clicks and pops and dropouts. Sometimes they would only happen every two to three minutes and other times every 10-15 seconds. Of course I would notice them more often on quieter songs.

So I tried adjusting settings in Foobar (buffer size) with no or little effect. I even tried adjusting the priority level of Foobar on Windows task manager, after seeing this suggested on Empirical Audio's website but this actually made the problem worse.

My next solution was to get a used Dell laptop on Ebay and set it up as a dedicated music server using all of the tips on http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php to reduce other demands on the system's processor. This was pretty good since I was now only getting one or two clicks per song. And I was about ready to surrender and accept this as an unavoidable part of listening through my computer.

Then I found another webpage that lists a bunch of suggestions for reducing or eliminating windows services that are unnecessary, especially on my laptop which is never hooked up to the internet and is only used for music playback. The address is: http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

After disabling a bunch of services....EUREKA!!!...No more clicks and pops.....ever!

Caution: The webpage recommends going slowly on disabling services as you may find unintended consquences. especially if you do use your computer for lots of other tasks. And there are services that are completely necessary for Windows to operate. The suggestion is to disable a few services and then make sure everything is working fine before disabling more.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Clicks and pops, I finally found a solution for Foobar playback in Windows - Nirmalanow 07:27:28 12/26/06 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.